Friday, January 25, 2008

Anything Can Happen...

This happened to me in september 2005.

Hi All,

For the last one week I had been confined to a hospital bed with limited movements due to a mishap of Slip Disc. It's funny how it happen, I was having a shower, lifted up my left leg to apply soap and I heard a rubber band snapping sound plus a jolt of electric shock on my back. Immediately my back gave way and I was on the floor crouching. I thought I had pulled a muscle, after 20 mins or rest I could not move my back, I suspected it was a slip disc.

Was was I to do, water still spraying onto my back, getting a bit cold. My wife was away in Australia. I had a lady house-mate staying with us at that time. How we communicated was another story. I took the towel and bit it, ran from the bathroom to my bed, upon getting to my bed I saw my handpone or the up-market word 'mobile phone'... I thought I can reach it from the bed. I got to the bed, slept on it, what a relief but #$%&* I could not reach to my mobile phone. I tried to move but I could not move by this time.

30mins later, I had to get my mobile phone, biting on the towel again but cursing this round took it. I called my house-mate downstairs informed her about my problem, asked her to come to my room to help me. Putting down the phone only to realize that I'm still naked.
Biting on my towel again, I can't believed I managed to wear my clothes while having a slip disc.

Ambulance arrived ..........
Anyways, transported to hospital by ambulance, Malaysian drivers culture not really giving way to ambulances. With the siren blaring, the ambulance driver still needs to use his horn.

Arriving at the hospital, the pain was getting worst. The doctor gave me a pain killer jab. That was really comfortable. I was whelled up to the ward.
My parents were there as well. I told mum I wanted to eat chicken porridge. She bought it, having to be staying in a private ward, it had this electronic bed, where you can adjust the tilt of the bed.

Guess what? Very macho I press on the button to tilt the bed so that I can enjoy my chicken porridge. Did I enjoy...... NOOOOOOOO... the tilt actually aggrevated the pain. I was hugging the bars on the side of the bed. Pressing on the panic button to call the nurse into the ward.
Nurses rushed in asking what's the problem... I just said pain killer, pain killer... dumb founded the nurse just stood ther looking at me asking me 'are you in pain?' I could have just answered 'No I just press the button to see if it is working' What was she thinking?

In the end I got my jab and managed to enjoy my chicken porridge with pain but still a week at the hospital.

This would serve as a warning to all who are over-eaters, big bellies, etc... take care of your back else it wont take care of you....

No comments: